Chicago Barn to Wire BRIS
Home | News | Bloggers | Forums | Resources | Links | Marketplace | Gallery | Contact Us | Search

September 22, 2014, 05:20:49 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you don't remember your password, email me.

New  registration procedures -- Some ISPs have been bouncing the verification emails.  Please email me to be activated or if you have any problems.  Click Contact Us above.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Juvenile Fillies notes - 10/31  (Read 563 times)
jrstark
Administrator

« on: October 31, 2006, 03:08:45 PM »

Adhrhythm –  Centaur Farm’s 2yo filly Adhrhythm arrived at Churchill Downs from her Calder Race Course base Monday morning and got her first exercise over the track Tuesday morning with a jog before the renovation break.

Trainer Eddie Plesa Jr., who will fly to Louisville Thursday, said via cellphone, “I think she’ll run a good race because she’s coming into it just outstanding. 

“She has proven that she can win at two turns and she has the right style of running, a stalking speed. 

“Plus, we are lucky to have (jockey) Edgar Prado.  Not taking anything away from Manny Cruz (jockey Manoel Cruz, who rode her the last two times at Calder), but we’re taking every advantage we can.”

Thinking about Wednesday’s post position draw, Plesa commented, “In a perfect world, I’d like to have three through seven.  Just not one or 13 or 14.”

Adoradora – Ninth on Preference list

Appealing Zophie –  The Successful Appeal filly walked the shedrow of her Churchill Downs base, one day after a 4f workout. Trainer Scott Blasi reported that the filly was “super.”

Regular rider Shaun Bridgmohan, aboard for three of the filly’s four career starts, said he is looking forward to the race on Saturday and says she’s a much better filly than her performance at Keeneland when sixth in the Alcibiades as one of the favorites.

“She’s a nice filly,” said Bridgmohan. “I don’t think the conditions of the Keeneland race fit her running style. I’ve ridden her three times and all three times, she’s given me her all. She’s pretty classy and has lots of talent.”

Awesome Ashley/Cotton Blossom/Octave –  All three of trainer Todd Pletcher’s Breeders’ Cup Juvenile Fillies pre-entries, Cotton Blossom, Octave and Awesome Ashley, had maintenance gallops at Belmont Park Tuesday.  All of Pletcher’s Breeders’ Cup horses are flying to Kentucky on Wednesday.

Baroness Thatcher – Fifth on Preference list. 

Bel Air Beauty –  The Alcibiades winner returned to the Churchill track on Tuesday for the first time since a Sunday workout and jogged under regular exercise rider Lisa Sloane, assistant to trainer Frank Brothers.

“She went well,” reported Sloan. “She was nice and fresh.”

Cash Included – The potential favorite for the Juvenile Fillies took her first turn around the Churchill Downs track Tuesday morning with a 1m jog over the surface under the watchful eyes of trainer Craig Dollase.

“She was just out there to stretch her legs a little and get familiar with the track here,” Dollase said. As for what lies ahead in Saturday’s Juvenile Fillies, Dollase said, “I don’t think we’ve seen the best of her yet and I’m hoping she’ll take to this surface here. I’m pretty sure she will. She’ll have a few gallops over the track and we’ll keep our fingers crossed.”

Catch the Thrill – Fourth on Preference list

Cohiba Miss –  Trainer Bernie Flint sent his filly, who sits first on the preference list, for a gallop over the Churchill track. The Cat Thief filly needs a defection before Wednesday’s post position draw to make the field.

Dreaming of Anna –  Frank Calabrese’s Dreaming of Anna jogged a mile before the renovation break Tuesday morning at Churchill Downs with exercise rider Carlos Alicea up.

The only undefeated pre-entrant in the Breeders’ Cup Juvenile Fillies, Dreaming of Anna will be making her first start around two turns. Trainer Wayne Catalano doesn’t think that will be a problem Saturday.

“She’s done it plenty of times in the morning. She goes around like it is no problem and acts like she wants more of it,” Catalano said of Dreaming of Anna, who will be ridden by Rene Douglas.

Catalano believes Dreaming of Anna could be the best horse he has ever trained.

“She has the potential to be,” said Catalano, whose lone previous Breeders’ Cup starter was Tamweel, who finished fourth in the 2004 Distaff at Lone Star. “I had Crypto Star who won the Louisiana Derby and Arkansas Derby, Tamweel and some other good ones, but if she gets lucky and wins Saturday, I’d say she has a strong case to be best.”

Gatorize –  Gatorize, a Sarum Farm homebred, galloped a mile Tuesday morning under Hanne Jorgensen, assistant trainer to Helen Pitts. The filly will gallop up to the Juvenile Fillies. “Everything’s good,” Pitts said.

Asked when she decided to try the probable longshot in the Breeders’ Cup, Pitts said, “It was just a question of whether we could get in. It was worth giving it a shot. She might not be the best, but we can’t win if we’re not in it. … If she gets a good clean trip, I think she’ll be right there.”

A Former assistant to Ken McPeek, Pitts has been training on her own for about a year and a half.

Getting to the Breeders’ Cup, she said, “was always a dream, but I never thought it would be this quickly.”

Gal Wonder – Third on Preference list

Her Majesty –Her Majesty galloped 1 ½ miles Tuesday at Keeneland, where she’ll stay until trainer Patrick Biancone ships her and his other three Breeders’ Cup starters to Churchill Downs Thursday afternoon.

The trainer still plans for her to work a half-mile Wednesday morning, and her regular jockey Julien Leparoux will be aboard for the move.

Her Majesty has had two career starts, a maiden victory and a third-place finish in the Alcibiades Stakes at Keeneland, but Biancone said he has no doubts the Giant Causeway filly is ready for the step up in class Saturday.

“If she were not, she would not run,” he said.

Lilly Carson – Trainer Ralph Nicks reported that his Carson City filly followed her usual routine of galloping and schooling in the Churchill Downs paddock on Tuesday. He said the filly continues to do well.

Mistical Plan  – Sixth on Preference list. 

Pro Pink – Seventh on Preference list.

Quick Little Miss –  Annabelle Stute and The Hat Ranch’s Quick Little Miss boarded a flight early Tuesday morning in California with an afternoon arrival expected in Louisville.

Mel Stute, the only trainer in Breeders’ Cup history to win with his first two entrants, is due to arrive Tuesday night.

Veteran rider Jon Court, who has ridden in one previous Breeders’ Cup race, has the call on Quick Little Miss.                                               

Rivanna River – Eighth on Preference list.

Satulagi –  The Kentucky-bred daughter of Officer, who has done all her racing in England, jogged with a pony Tuesday morning after clearing quarantine. Sara Moore, wife of trainer Stan Moore, was aboard.

This will be the first start on dirt for Satulagi, who is the most experienced of all the runners in the Juvenile Fillies with nine starts this year. However, she made her debut on the all-weather track at Lingfield in March and ran well to be third. She has won twice this season and in her last start finished fourth in the Fillies’ Mile at Ascot in September.

“She’s made a lot of starts,” Sara Moore said, “but she’s handled it well. She’s a very tough filly, mentally tough.”

Moore said the idea of shipping to the Breeders’ Cup came up only recently.

“Her last few races have been very good,” Moore said, “and about six weeks ago we started thinking about the Breeders’ Cup. We’ve been preparing her for this since then. She shipped well, and she’s in good coat. She misses her pony, but that’s the only problem so far.”

Stan Moore is a former steeplechase jockey who rode on the flat as an apprentice, where his claim to fame was that he won two races aboard Ardross.

John Egan, who has been aboard in all but two of her races, has the call Saturday. Egan and trainer Moore are due at Churchill Downs Tuesday night.

She's Included – The daughter of the Broad Brush sire Include stretched her legs for 1 1/2m Tuesday morning on the main track at Churchill Downs. Exercise rider Jose Valcso took the filly to the track at 7:15 and put her through her paces as trainer Christopher Paasch and his wife Bonnie looked on.

Christopher Paasch, who had flown in from his California headquarters Monday, indicated that the filly would pick up the pace just a bit later in the week.

“She’ll gallop again tomorrow, then we’ll ask her to go strong coming home on Thursday,” he said. “She appears to be doing fine so far.”

Sutra –  Oak Crest Farm’s Sutra made her first visit to the Churchill Downs track Tuesday morning after the renovation break, jogging a mile under exercise rider Rolando Rodriguez.

“I just let her look around her first day here,” trainer Michael Stidham said. “She will gallop up to the race, stand in the gate and school in the paddock. I do that with all of my horses at least one day coming up to a race, even with my older horses.”

Mike Luzzi will have the mount on Sutra, who completed her major training Sunday at Keeneland with a 5f move in 59 1/5.

“We were really comfortable on the Polytrack at Keeneland,” Stidham said. “It worked well going into the Frizette (on Oct. 14) and the track was real safe for us, and I felt comfortable getting her last work on the Polytrack.”

Sutra will be Stidham’s second Breeders’ Cup starter, having saddled Culinary to a seventh-place finish in the 2004 Juvenile Fillies at Lone Star.

“I’d say there are similarities between the two,” Stidham said. “They are both precocious. Culinary had two wins and this filly is a whisker from being undefeated in three starts. Culinary is here. She has won more than $300,000 and some stakes for us.”
Report to moderator   Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: