Chicago Barn to Wire Breeders' Cup Handicapping Tournaments
Home | News | Bloggers | Forums | Resources | Links | Marketplace | Gallery | Contact Us | Search

October 31, 2014, 04:56:16 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you don't remember your password, email me.

New  registration procedures -- Some ISPs have been bouncing the verification emails.  Please email me to be activated or if you have any problems.  Click Contact Us above.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sprint notes - 10/30  (Read 563 times)
jrstark
Administrator

« on: October 30, 2006, 04:46:25 PM »

Areyoutalkintome/Thor's Echo - Drawing in from the Preferred List following the defection of Commentator, Areyoutalkintome continues to prepare for Saturday's race.

When notified by phone at his Hollywood Park base Monday, trainer Doug O'Neill was exhilarated by the news.

"That's just great news," he said. "Wait till I tell the owners (Ron Manzani and Russell Sarno)."

Earlier Monday, the gelded son of Smokester galloped 1 1/2m over the Churchill Downs track this morning under exercise rider Antonio Romero.

Areyoutalkintome worked 6f in 1:16 2/5 Friday at Keeneland,

"He's been doing just great," O'Neill said. "His work at Keeneland may not excite many people, but it did excite us. He's such a lazy work horse, but we were thrilled at what we saw that day."

Jockey Victor Espinoza will ride.

Thor's Echo, the 4yo California-bred son of Swiss Yodeler, galloped 1½ m at Churchill Downs under Romero.

Assistant trainer Leandro Mora said the gelding came back for the gallop "nice and fresh."

Mora said the rider assignment has not been decided but he expects it to go to Corey Nakatani or David Cohen. Thor's Echo worked 6f on Friday at Keeneland, stopping the clock in 1:14 2/5.

Attila's Storm - Barry Schwartz and Wachtel Stable's 4yo colt Attila's Storm breezed 4f in 48 4/5 at Belmont Park on Monday morning.  The colt will fly to Louisville on Wednesday.

Trainer Richard Schosberg said that jockey Cornelio Velasquez would have the mount on Attila's Storm in the Sprint.  The rider guided the colt to a third-place finish in the Vosburgh after an eight-month layoff.

The reason for the layoff was an ankle injury sustained in the Palos Verdes Handicap on Jan. 21 at Santa Anita.

"We were very lucky with this injury," said Schosberg.  "It was similar to Barbaro's injury.only it started like that but didn't spiral up like Barbaro's did.  It happened during the race and afterwards he was 'off.'  He never had any swelling, so we started X-raying him."

After having two screws inserted in his left hind ankle to repair the fracture, Attila's Storm remained in California for 60 days, was then sent to a farm, and then returned to Schosberg in July.

Attila's Storm will make his second start in the Breeders' Cup Sprint after finishing fourth last year at odds of 45-1.

Bordonaro - Fred Carrillo and Daniel Cassella's Bordonaro walked the shedrow Monday morning, a day after working 4f in 48 2/5 at Churchill Downs. Trainer Bill Spawr plans to visit the gate with Bordonaro Tuesday morning and then jog the Memo gelding.

Patrick Valenzuela, who is 4-for-4 aboard Bordonaro, has the riding assignment in the Sprint.

Spawr said plans for a run at the Breeders' Cup began to form after a victory in the Vernon O. Underwood last December at Hollywood Park.

"We were trying to get six to eight weeks between races, but the races happened to be three months apart on the road to here were the only races available for the purses we wanted to run at," Spawr said. "The owners said the way he ran in the Underwood (a 3-length wire-to-wire victory), he might be a Breeders' Cup horse, so lets point in that direction."

Commentator - Trainer Nick Zito informed Breeders' Cup racing officials late Monday morning that Tracy Farmer's 5yo gelding Commentator would not be entered Wednesday for the Breeders' Cup Sprint to be run Saturday at Churchill Downs.

Zito indicated that the son of Distorted Humor had aggravated a previous shin injury in his left fore as the cause. The defection of Commentator will allow Ron Manzani and Russ Sarno's 5-year-old gelding Areyoutalkintome to draw in to the race from the Preference list.

Dubai Escapade - Under exercise rider Karine Lhuillier, the 4yo filly owned by Darley Stable worked 4f Monday morning in 49 3/5 at Churchill Downs.

Dubai Escapade was pre-entered in the Sprint, where she would face males for the first time, but Jimmy Bell, president of Darley at Jonabell, said it has not been decided whether she will actually be entered and run.

Darley Stable is owned by Sheikh Mohammed bin Maktoum, ruler of Dubai. Henny Hughes, who is likely to be the morning-line favorite in the Sprint, is owned by Sheikh Mohammed's son, Sheikh Rashid.

"Every day is day-by-day, step-by-step," Bell said. "Obviously, bringing her down here and working her over the racetrack was Step 1. We'll sit down and talk with John Ferguson about it and go from there. It really is a step-by-step process as to what the next step will be. Everything is subject to change, or subject to rewiew, or subject to going forward. We're going step by step."

Trainer Eoin Harty said Dubai Escapade's breeze was typical.

"I thought it was a good work. It's the way she always works," he said. "She does it all very easily and today was no different to anything in the past. It was very routine. She's a very, very fast filly and that's the way she works."

Friendly Island - Friendly Island worked a half-mile Monday morning on the fast training track at Belmont Park, going in 49 2/5. The 5yo Crafty Friend horse picks up jockey Ramon Dominguez for the Sprint.

"He is a solid, veteran horse," said trainer Todd Pletcher, "and he has been solid at this distance."

Friendly Island is owned by the Anstu Stable of Stuart and Anita Subotnick, who were among Pletcher's first clients when he left Hall of Fame trainer D. Wayne Lukas to strike out on his own in December 1995.   

Henny Hughes -- A day after he worked an easy half-mile over Belmont's training track in 51, Henny Hughes walked the shedrow.  Trained by Kiaran McLaughlin, Henny Hughes will be ridden by jockey John Velazquez in the Sprint.  Velazquez won the Sprint two years ago with Speightstown.

As for Henny Hughes, this 3yo son of Hennessy has won six times and has never been out of the exacta in nine starts.  After dominating 3yo sprinters over the summer, Henny Hughes proved he could handle older foes when he won the Vosburgh in a dominating performance Oct. 7.  Most consider him in the horse to beat in the Sprint.

"He's feeling so good," said McLaughlin of Henny Hughes.  "I wanted to do a little more with him yesterday, but there was a very high wind.  All is well."

McLaughlin says he hopes Henny Hughes will draw a mid-pack post.  Although naturally quick, Henny Hughes has won races on the lead and from slightly off the pace.

"Post seven would be ideal with the two speed horses in one and two, but then again I wanted him to work a half in 48 (yesterday) and I got 51, so it doesn't matter what I want," he said with a big grin.

Like Classic-bound stablemate Invasor, Henny Hughes is going to return to the track early Wednesday before flying to Kentucky.

Kelly's Landing - Summerplace Farm's homebred 5yo Kelly's Landing worked 4f Sunday over Keeneland's all-weather track in 46 1/5, the fastest work of 29 on the tab for the day.  He vanned to Churchill Downs on Monday morning along with other horses trained by Eddie Kenneally.

"He set the Churchill track record last year when he won the Aristides," said Kenneally.  "He loves Churchill and all his races here have been good."

Jockey Rafael Bejarano will have the mount on Kelly's Landing in the Sprint.

Lewis Michael - See Mile

Malibu Mint - John and Martha Jane Mulholland's 4yo filly Malibu Mint worked 4f over Keeneland's all-weather track Saturday in 47 flat.  She vanned to Turfway Park in northern Kentucky on Monday morning and "went out easy with the pony," according to trainer James R. Chapman.

"We'll see what the weather is going to be like," said Chapman when asked when he would send Malibu Mint to Churchill Downs.  "There is no question of what you're training over," he said, referring to Turfway's Polytrack surface.  "It is kind to feet and legs."

Malibu Mint has endured foot problems over time, but Chapman seems to have found the remedy for her: Burns Polyflex Shoes.  The glue-on shoes are made from a hybrid polyurethane and claim to enhance the natural shock absorbing mechanism of the hoof.

"Her feet were terrible," Chapman said.  "She couldn't get any growth on the foot and the nail holes would go bad.  She'd come to the wire and shorten up.  I use these shoes on all the horses now, even the pony. You can take the shoe in your hand and flex it."

Chapman started using the shoes at the end of this winter and credits Malibu Mint's improved foot condition and maturity for her very good form this year.  She has won the biggest races of her career this summer. 

Jockey Kyle Kaenel, 18, guided her to her last two victories and will have the mount on Malibu Mint in the Sprint.

Nightmare Affair - Timber Side Stable's Nightmare Affair got his first trip over the Churchill Downs track Monday morning when he had a 1m gallop, looking professional and content with his new surroundings.  The 5yo horse arrived at Churchill Downs on Saturday after shipping from his Calder Race Course base on Friday.  He last worked on Friday at Calder, breezing 3f from the gate in a quick 35 flat.

"I'm very happy with his workout on Friday," said trainer Manuel Azpurua.  "He will work on Wednesday another easy three-eighths. 

"That work at Saratoga (Aug. 30) before the Forego was just too fast.  He never did that before and it was too much three days before the race." 

Azpurua was referring to Nightmare Affair's 3f breeze in 34 2/5 before finishing sixth in the Forego.  "That day he was flying over the track.and it was sloppy.  He is such an easy horse."

Jockey Edgar Prado will ride Nightmare Affair for the first time when he gets a leg up for the Sprint.

Pomeroy - Silverleaf Farm's 5-year-old Pomeroy breezed 6f from the gate at his home base of Calder Race Course in Miami, Fla., Sunday morning for trainer Marty Wolfson.  He was timed in 1:14.

"He did it so easy that when he went by me it looked like 38 (seconds for three-eighths), but he went in 35.  That's just a good horse," said Wolfson.

Pomeroy walked the shedrow at Calder on Monday morning and is due to board a plane Tuesday morning headed for Louisville along with stablemate Miesque's Approval, contender for the Breeders' Cup Mile, and Prospective Saint, who will race in a Churchill Downs stakes this week.

Jockey Eddie Castro will have the mount on Pomeroy in the Sprint.  While the young rider has ridden many horses for Wolfson, this will be the first time he rides Pomeroy in a race and his first Breeders' Cup appearance.  He will also ride Miesque's Approval in the Mile.

Siren Lure - Stuart Kesselman and Tony Melkonian's Siren Lure walked the shedrow at Barn 41 a day after working 4f in 50 3/5.

"He came out of it fine," trainer Art Sherman said. "He didn't work probably as fast as I thought he would go, but I had somebody on him that had never been on him before, but he worked him fine."

Alex Solis, who has ridden Siren Lure  in his six most recent races, has the call for the Sprint, a race he won here at Churchill Downs in 2000 with Kona Gold.

Sherman claimed Siren Lure for $50,000 in May 2005 after a win on the grass and kept him there until May this year.

"I just kept him on the grass because he was running good, and there was no use changing it," Sherman said. "He always worked good on the dirt and I said one of those days I'd have the opportunity to try it. In February, they had a race come off the turf at Santa Anita and Alex said he just aired. I said, 'wow, this gives me another option,' and after the San Simeon in April, I haven't had him on the grass, and he has won three graded stakes."

Too Much Bling - Two days after he worked for trainer Bob Baffert at Santa Anita, the four-time stakeswinner was sent out for a jog over the track.

Baffert said the 3yo son of Rubiano was scheduled to ship from California to Churchill Downs on Tuesday. Jockey Garrett Gomez will ride the colt in the Sprint.

War Front - War Front jogged in trainer Allen Jerkens' barn at Belmont Park Monday morning in preparation for the Breeders' Cup Sprint. Jose Santos will have the mount on the 4yo son of Danzig.
Report to moderator   Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: