Chicago Barn to Wire
Home | News | Bloggers | Forums | Resources | Links | Marketplace | Gallery | Contact Us | Search

December 19, 2014, 02:06:34 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you don't remember your password, email me.

New  registration procedures -- Some ISPs have been bouncing the verification emails.  Please email me to be activated or if you have any problems.  Click Contact Us above.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: F&M Turf notes - 10/30  (Read 565 times)
jrstark
Administrator

« on: October 30, 2006, 02:49:25 PM »

Asi Siempre – See Distaff

Dancing Edie – The Craig Dollase-trained daughter of Moscow Ballet walked the shedrow this morning after arriving by air at Churchill Downs on Sunday.

The 4yo bay filly is expected to go to the track Tuesday under the guidance of trainer Dollase, who is expected to arrive from his Hollywood Park base Monday afternoon.

Film Maker – Film Maker walked the shedrow Monday morning after breezing 6f in 1:12 3/5 Sunday morning over Keeneland’s Polytrack surface. Like stablemate Better Talk Now (Turf), Film Maker will be making her third straight appearance in the Breeders Cup.

The 6yo mare finished second in the Breeders’ Cup Filly & Mare Turf at Lone Star in 2004 and third at Belmont Park last year.

“She’s very similar to the past two years. The only difference is that she’s had one less race this year,” said trainer Graham Motion by phone from his barn at Fair Hill Training Center. “Hopefully, that will bode well for us.”

Film Maker, along with Better Talk Now, was scheduled to ship from Keeneland to Churchill Downs Monday.

Edgar Prado, who has ridden Film Maker in five of her eight lifetime victories, will aboard the daughter of Dynaformer.

Germance – The Kentucky-bred filly, who has won four of six starts this year, has been stabled at Keeneland since running fourth in the Queen Elizabeth II Cup there on Oct. 14. She will be shipped to Churchill Downs before the end of the week.

The daughter of Silver Hawk, who took her Group I turf win in the Prix Saint-Alary at Longchamp in May, had trouble at the start of the Keeneland race and never recovered, finishing nearly three lengths behind the winner, Vacare.

Jean-Claude Rouget, who has not saddled a Breeders’ Cup starter since he sent out Millkorn to run 13th in the 1994 Classic at Churchill Downs, has given the mount to Christophe Soumillon, who rides for the first time.

Gorella –  See Mile

Honey Ryder – Trainer Todd Pletcher worked her a half-mile in 50 2/5 on the soft inner turf course at Belmont Park on Sunday, so the 5yo Lasting Approval mare walked the shedrow this morning. Jockey John Velazquez will be aboard the Flower Bowl Invitational winner in the Filly & Mare Turf, who was also cross-entered in the Turf.

“I’ll talk to the owners again, but as it stands right now, she’ll run in the Filly & Mare Turf,” Pletcher said. “She is doing very well right now, and she has won five of six starts at a mile and three-eighths. At this point, she had a maintenance work yesterday and I think she’s ready to run another big race for us.”

Quiet Royal – Olivier Peslier, who guided Banks Hill to victory in the 2001 Filly & Mare Turf at Belmont Park, drew the riding assignment aboard this 3yo Royal Academy filly for Saturday.

She worked four furlongs in 49 2/5 on Churchill Downs’ turf course on Sunday and walked the shedrow Monday morning.

“We got her after the Queen Elizabeth (Oct. 14, Keeneland) and she obviously has a lot of talent,” said trainer Todd Pletcher. “That was her first start in this country. She has been at Churchill Downs and the only question with her will be the mile and three-eighths.”

Quiet Royal ran third in the nine-furlong Queen Elizabeth II Challenge Cup on Oct. 1, beaten a length and three-quarters in her first start beyond a mile.   

Wait a While – Her impressive four-race winning streak and having raced at nine tracks in her career, make this 3yo Maria’s Mon filly a strong player in the Filly & Mare Turf. She worked a bullet 5f in 1:01 3/5 on the soft inner turf course on Sunday at Belmont Park, and walked on Monday.

Although the 11-furlong distance of the Filly & Mare Turf is of some concern, trainer Todd Pletcher has reason to believe it is a moot point.

“She’s won her last four races pretty impressively,” said Pletcher, “and two of those races – the Yellow Ribbon and the American Oaks – were at a mile and a quarter. So, I think she’ll be able to handle stretching out in distance.” 

Garrett Gomez has the mount.

Mauralakana –  Galloped 1 ½ miles at Keeneland Monday, and trainer Patrick Biancone said she and his other three Breeders’ Cup starters – Gorella, Asi Siempre and Her Majesty – will ship to Churchill Downs Thursday afternoon.

Young Julien Leparoux, an exercise rider for Biancone before he left to become a race rider, has the mount on each the horses on Saturday. Leparoux just lost his apprentice allowance in late September.

Mauralakana also is listed as first on the second preference list in the Mile.

My Typhoon –  Live Oak Plantation’s multiple stakes-winning filly is scheduled to breeze at Keeneland Tuesday morning. She had a routine gallop Monday morning, Hall of Fame trainer Bill Mott said.

My Typhoon has stayed at Keeneland since her third-place finish in the First Lady on Oct. 14. Mott chuckled when he said “we’re Polytraining,” and said he preferred to have some of his horses train over the new Polytrack surface at Keeneland.

“I do with her, since she’s running on the grass anyway,” Mott said. “She’s not running on the main track. There is no point in me working her on this track. I guess I could work her on the turf, but she wants to do too much when you put her on the turf anyway.  She’s been training over there since the beginning of Keeneland. We’ll just do it all there and then bring her over.”

Ouija Board –  The 5yo mare, who will be seeking her second victory in the Filly & Mare Turf, arrived at Churchill Downs Sunday evening and will remain in quarantine until Monday night. She is expected to be out on the track Tuesday morning for light exercise.

Edward Dunlop trains the daughter of Cape Cross who will be making her third start in the Filly & Mare Turf. Ouija Board scored in the 2004 running of the race at Lone Star Park as the 9-10 favorite, and last year ran second behind Intercontinental at Belmont Park as the $2.30-1 choice.

Frankie Dettori rides Saturday.

Satwa Queen –  The 4yo French-bred filly, a stakes winner at Deauville this summer, arrived at Churchill Downs from France Sunday evening and will remain in quarantine until Monday night. She is expected to be out on the track Tuesday morning.

The daughter of Muhtathir will be the first Breeders’ Cup starter for trainer Jean de Roualle. Satwa Queen will be ridden by Thierry Thulliez, who was aboard in her Deauville score.
Report to moderator   Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: