Chicago Barn to Wire Breeders' Cup Handicapping Tournaments
Home | News | Bloggers | Forums | Resources | Links | Marketplace | Gallery | Contact Us | Search

October 26, 2014, 02:07:16 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you don't remember your password, email me.

New  registration procedures -- Some ISPs have been bouncing the verification emails.  Please email me to be activated or if you have any problems.  Click Contact Us above.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Selecting a trainer.....  (Read 5372 times)
TC

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: October 30, 2006, 04:24:03 PM »

Liable?  You mean Libel? 

Excuse troll! Yes, as in lawsuit! TC
Report to moderator   Logged
Sullivan

« Reply #26 on: October 30, 2006, 04:26:55 PM »

Troll?  I simply asked Tall a question.  I asked you one as well and you did not respond.
Mclock

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: October 30, 2006, 04:27:33 PM »

I wanna see 1 peron defend you scumbag......just 1......there isn't any......fu*king loser  thumbs down thumbs down thumbs down

trotter

'Tis better to be silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.
Sullivan

« Reply #28 on: October 30, 2006, 04:29:27 PM »

I wanna see 1 peron defend you scumbag......just 1......there isn't any......fu*king loser  thumbs down thumbs down thumbs down

trotter

Tall,

Was the post you made earlier about a trainer reccomendation, were those statements somewhat related to "FACTS" about Scott Nance?
Titus Colt

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: October 30, 2006, 04:34:59 PM »

Thanks for all the comments and insight.  I appreciate all the feedback, whether it is serious or not so serious.  Based on crunching the purse numbers, I believe that it would be best to break in with a better quality horse.  That is why I was thinking of a 15-20 claimer.  Sure, a horse at that level will have its problems, but it costs just as much to feed a 4claimer as it does a 15-20 claimer.  I also believe that I should have 50% reserve on top of the claiming price, just to pay for the bills, etc.  I assume that the horse will earn some purse money, but it is always wise to have cash in reserve.  I may be a "grandstand goof", but I want to do this the right way.
I am based in Chicago and like what I have seen out of certain trainers in terms of statistics and properly classifying horses.  However, I guess you really don't know how things will work out until you talk to the prospective trainers.
Thanks again for all the advice.  
MWG

« Reply #30 on: October 30, 2006, 04:37:20 PM »

I disagree about starting with a cheap horse. An owner has almost no chance of breaking even, much less making a profit, with a cheap horse. A 4 claimer costs just as much to feed and train as a 20 claimer, and its vet bills may even be higher because he's likely to have more physical problems.

I'm not suggesting to go out and spend $100,000 on your first horse, but you're better off spending $15 to 20 K, so you can have a horse that races for enough purse money to give you a shot at making money.

I agree with NJH, the maintenance costs are equal if not higher on a cheap horse versus a moderately price horse. In addition, once you determine your racing venue, see that the track can offer you some latitude of movement on claimers. In other words, if the track's minimum claiming level is $ 10k, there is no need to claim a $ 10K horse as you are limited to movement in one direction, in keeping your horse in a competitive class. Determine what the tracks needs are and the opportunities available. The Racing Secretary can be awful helpful in this regard. Example : Right now in my area, claiming trotters are very short in both number and talent. Firstly, the short number usually assures more racing opportunities, your horse is in demand to race. In this case, claiming trotters race every week while $ 10K pacing claimers might race twice a month, or every third week, the supply exceeds the demand.. Secondly, the limited talent of the class situation offers increased earnings potential. Here, a $ 12.5 mare claiming trotter ( $ 10000 min. ), a trotter able to race 2:00 on a half-mile track, can race, weekly, for purses of $ 9600, with maximum top yearly earnings varyiing from $ 35K to $ 50K. I quess, my point is, like starting up any new business venture, there is a lot of homework to be done long before jumping into the pond. Choosing a qualified trainer is only one part of a delicate puzzle to be successful in harness racing.
tonymfan

« Reply #31 on: October 30, 2006, 05:03:54 PM »

yeah with his 159  I Q he can't spell simple words......sounds like a fatass scumbag Timmy who sit up stairs......another real winner folks....I find it funny not even 1 single person has ever defended this scumbag.....but I do know why.                                                       

Lots of those type mistakes in TC's posts recently. Almost like he is letting someone much dumber then than him use his account.
burton

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: October 30, 2006, 05:44:19 PM »

Sounds like liable too me! I'll check with the former "esteemed poster" JD. TC
Like he knows.
Ask him if he'll have handicapping contests on his up and coming website?
Kenneth J. Chadwick

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: October 30, 2006, 06:08:27 PM »

I think the most important part of your question:

Since you are new, get two or three referrals.

Better yet, find out who is the good trainer that you like, and look in the program who he trains for and contact them.

Remember, see if the present owners are happy.  Sometimes the owners will not tell you the truth because they are embarrassed.

Do your homework.  Remember this is your money. 

Spend it wisely.

Kenneth J. Chadwick

It's a Wonderful Life, let's live every moment like its your last.
sn

« Reply #34 on: October 30, 2006, 08:46:19 PM »

Now its your turn Swaymi!!!
For the last time I DID NOT CLAIM ROY OLCOTT the owner wanted him!!! I DID NOT CLAIM McLOCK his owner wanted him!! I only picked one horse out that I had, that was Illini monstermack!!!
The game has passed me buy huh? BULL!!!!
go ask Riccollo if the game passed me buy when he was cashing those $18,000 in tickets he had when i told him Monster would not get beat at Haw. and when he cashed those $20,000 in tickets when i told him Monster wouldnt get beat at maywood when he stiffed me!!!
When i get one ready THEY WIN period!!!
now lets talk about you, who are you to give advice about anything about racing and horses??
How many races have you won? how many horses have you put over? we will probally never know because you wont even post your real name but I'll take a guess and say 0!!!
I'm trying to tell it like it is and give him real advice, either you want to own or train dont be an owner that thinks he can train from just being in the grandstand it will never work
Sullivan

« Reply #35 on: October 30, 2006, 08:47:56 PM »

For the last time I DID NOT CLAIM ROY OLCOTT the owner wanted him!!! I DID NOT CLAIM McLOCK his owner wanted him!! The .

Who submitted the claim slip on Roy Olcott? 
Mclock

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: October 30, 2006, 08:50:13 PM »

Who submitted the claim slip on Roy Olcott? 

LOL 

'Tis better to be silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.
MWG

« Reply #37 on: October 30, 2006, 08:57:01 PM »

Now its your turn Swaymi!!!
For the last time I DID NOT CLAIM ROY OLCOTT the owner wanted him!!! I DID NOT CLAIM McLOCK his owner wanted him!! I only picked one horse out that I had, that was Illini monstermack!!!
The game has passed me buy huh? BULL!!!!
go ask Riccollo if the game passed me buy when he was cashing those $18,000 in tickets he had when i told him Monster would not get beat at Haw. and when he cashed those $20,000 in tickets when i told him Monster wouldnt get beat at maywood when he stiffed me!!!
When i get one ready THEY WIN period!!!
now lets talk about you, who are you to give advice about anything about racing and horses??
How many races have you won? how many horses have you put over? we will probally never know because you wont even post your real name but I'll take a guess and say 0!!!
I'm trying to tell it like it is and give him real advice, either you want to own or train dont be an owner that thinks he can train from just being in the grandstand it will never work

None of my business but I sure hope that Mr. Riccollo, whoever he is, doesn't mind you telling the whole world the amount of tickets he cashed, on the up and up, or not. I know I, either as an owner of bettor, would not want that type of info published for all to see. Could fall into the wrong hands and cause a possible investigation or looksee at taxes - get my drift ?
I think it's perfectly ok for you or anyone else to disclose their personal info but someone else - that's another matter. Might take the suugestion into future consideration.
sn

« Reply #38 on: October 30, 2006, 08:57:16 PM »

Not that its any of your buis. but the claim slip was sighned by Thomas Riccollo of Morris Ill. he was purchused by a personal check that I had to get oked by Ken Keim from Riccollo construction company for $12,033 the price of the horse and an extra $33 to change the papers not a penny more!!!
The check was deposited a race before the claim was dropped in I was asked to look at the horse warm up and to go in the paddock and check him out I informed Riccollo that i would watch him warm up but i could not go in the paddock cause I had nothing racing. He went snooping aroud the paddock himself came upstairs and asked me to help him fill out the paperwork. End of story!!!!
Sullivan

« Reply #39 on: October 30, 2006, 09:01:34 PM »

Not that its any of your buis. but the claim slip was sighned by Thomas Riccollo of Morris Ill. he was purchused by a personal check that I had to get oked by Ken Keim from Riccollo construction company for $12,033 the price of the horse and an extra $33 to change the papers not a penny more!!!
The check was deposited a race before the claim was dropped in I was asked to look at the horse warm up and to go in the paddock and check him out I informed Riccollo that i would watch him warm up but i could not go in the paddock cause I had nothing racing. He went snooping aroud the paddock himself came upstairs and asked me to help him fill out the paperwork. End of story!!!!

sn,

Thanks for the timely response.  When are you going to start using all the money you and your brother made during the "You Damn Betcha" days and start claiming some stock of your own?
sn

« Reply #40 on: October 30, 2006, 09:02:04 PM »

It is my buis. cause I was the one that he was supposed to have bet for and after the tickets were cashed I got stiffed!!! get my drift?
Everything was done on the up and up you are allowed to bet on your own horse as much as you want. Its not agaist the rules!!!
As far as the IRS goes thats his problem should have done that right thing and gave me my end then he wouldnt have so much tax to pay!! Get my drift?

sn

« Reply #41 on: October 30, 2006, 09:03:56 PM »

When you post your real name so we can all know what you have ever done and how much you have ever made in the horse buis.!!!!
Sullivan

« Reply #42 on: October 30, 2006, 09:06:41 PM »

When you post your real name so we can all know what you have ever done and how much you have ever made in the horse buis.!!!!

So you are waiting for me to post my real name before you start claiming stock of your own?  Interesting.  Perhaps you should edit your post in "What to look for in a trainer" and add at the bottom "Wait until Sullivan reveals his real identity to drop a claim slip."
Mclock

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: October 30, 2006, 09:07:20 PM »

None of my business but I sure hope that Mr. Riccollo, whoever he is, doesn't mind you telling the whole world the amount of tickets he cashed, on the up and up, or not. I know I, either as an owner of bettor, would not want that type of info published for all to see. Could fall into the wrong hands and cause a possible investigation or looksee at taxes - get my drift ?
I think it's perfectly ok for you or anyone else to disclose their personal info but someone else - that's another matter. Might take the suugestion into future consideration.

Hunch bet for tues night? Looselipssinkships  

trotter

sn

« Reply #44 on: October 30, 2006, 09:23:00 PM »

No Im saying that when you PRINT your real name and start claiming horses and tell us what you have ever done in the buis. I will match it
GOT iT NOW?
Mclock

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: October 30, 2006, 09:33:35 PM »

No Im saying that when you PRINT your real name and start claiming horses and tell us what you have ever done in the buis. I will match it
GOT iT NOW?

you gonna use a check to match him with ? LMFAO    Wink Grin Cheesy Smiley Wink Grin Cheesy Smiley

" F I N I S H E D "

sn

« Reply #46 on: October 30, 2006, 09:44:08 PM »

No I got a winfall from an accident I had while driving a garbage truck Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked!!!!!!
Mclock

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: October 30, 2006, 09:47:21 PM »

No I got a winfall from an accident I had while driving a garbage truck Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked!!!!!!

well good for you.....now start paying your bills and bad checks off so you're not barred from the track..

" F I N I S H E D "

bettor2belucky

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: October 30, 2006, 09:47:30 PM »

Tall,

weren't you a former owner of SN?  if so ,what was the problem you had with him? I mean you're bashing the guy..so what's up?  and if not why bash him unless it's personal..

Bettor

ps. I don't want to stir up anything so if you don't reply I understand
after posting I see you guys have some personal issues
« Last Edit: October 30, 2006, 09:49:15 PM by bettor2belucky » Report to moderator   Logged

"A government big enough to give you everything you want,is a government big enough to take away everything you have."  Thomas Jefferson

"I'm the President I can afford better." Barack Hussein Obama
Mclock

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: October 30, 2006, 09:52:25 PM »

Tall,

weren't you a former owner of SN?  if so ,what was the problem you had with him? I mean you're bashing the guy..so what's up?  and if not why bash him unless it's personal..

Bettor

ps. I don't want to stir up anything so if you don't reply I understand
after posting I see you guys have some personal issues

well....if any other posters want to tell you thats fine I guess you don't keep up on your BTW...anyway he wants to bad mouth his former owners and not expect for them to reveal the truth about him and it ain't happening here. and why ask me and not him?

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: