Chicago Barn to Wire BRIS
Home | News | Bloggers | Forums | Resources | Links | Marketplace | Gallery | Contact Us | Search

October 23, 2014, 03:20:02 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you don't remember your password, email me.

New  registration procedures -- Some ISPs have been bouncing the verification emails.  Please email me to be activated or if you have any problems.  Click Contact Us above.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: College Basketball Anyone  (Read 791 times)
Tannor

Ignore
« on: December 08, 2005, 08:58:16 PM »

Anyone else on here a big fan of college bball. I prefer the Fightin' Illini of Illinois and im sure Joe Dak will back his Rebels. Just wonderin who everyone likes.

Tannor
Report to moderator   Logged

They're at the gate!!!!
edwardwilliam
Annnnnnnnnd they're off!

Rebate shops are not the devil.

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2005, 09:23:14 PM »

Anyone else on here a big fan of college bball. I prefer the Fightin' Illini of Illinois and im sure Joe Dak will back his Rebels. Just wonderin who everyone likes.

Tannor

Of course, I root for my 5-0 Vanderbilt Commodores.  Our 28 game non-conference winning streak will DEFINITELY be tested when Cincinnati comes to Nashville.  But, Memorial Gym is a tough, tough place to come into and win.  It will be a fun one.

If anyone has ESPN Full Court -- Vanderbilt has a completely electric player (Mario Moore) who is just a ball to watch.  He'll probably never get past college, but he's an absolute pleasure to watch on the floor.  When he's "on" -- he'll pull up and hit from anywhere.

Hopefully we can make another Sweet 16 run like two years ago...I still remember being at the TD Waterhouse Center in Orlando when we came back from 11 down with 1:40 to go against NC State!

Best,
EW

Stick to Fantasyland pal, because you'll NEVER make it in the real world - TC
John Doe

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2005, 10:33:10 PM »

Tannor and Edward:

I think you guys know where my heart is. There probably is not a single day that goes by without me thinking of my beloved 1990 UNLV Runnin Rebel championship team. When I tell you those were great times in Vegas, it's the understatement of the year. The Rebels home court back then was called the Shark Tank, named for our ominous coach Jerry Tarkanian. It would be nothing to see 18,000 plus pack that place on a Wednesday or Thursday night. It was unbelievable and magic was in the air. I'll never forget when we were an 13-point under-dog to Duke who had Christian Liettner and Bobby Hurley playing for them back then. We ended up trouncing them by 30! One of the most enjoyable games I ever watched my Rebels play was against Loyola Maramount. If you guys remember, LM was a high offensive powerhouse in 1990 and they were playing with so much inspiration that year because of their star player, the late Hank Gathers, who passed away on the court due to some type of heart disorder. This game was in the elite eight that year and went down to the wire with the Rebs winning with my racetrack buddy and partner, Larry Johnson scoring a game-high, 28 points.

There was nothing better than going to a UNLV home game with this huge Shark dressed up and running around all over the place. When the Rebels would get on a roll, they would play the Jaws theme music, it was hilarious. The Rebels basketball program really suffered after Tark left and have never been anything more than average since. I don't think the school administrators ever really knew what kind of coach Tark was. I know they never knew the type of person he was, and that pisses me off. It really makes me angry the treatment he received from the school President and AD. In the end it was all worth it because today, I'm happy to say that the old Thomas & Mack Center is more appropriately named "Tarkanian Court."  Very fitting since the guy took over a basketball program at that college and put the entire university on the map. It's pretty funny when you think about it, whenever Tark would speak to our student body, he would always say Las Vegas is a great tourist attraction, but when you guys have family and friends visit you, don't take them to see Wayne Newton, let them have some fun and take them to the hottest ticket in town, take them to watch the Rebel's play. LOL.  It's true; they were hotter than Andrew Dice Clay and Sam Kinneson back then. Oh, the memories bring tears to my eyes.

Best Regards,
Joseph M. Dakuras
(A UNLV Runnin Rebel For Life)
« Last Edit: December 08, 2005, 11:16:10 PM by JDakuras » Report to moderator   Logged

AND NOW, HERE ARE YOUR UNLV 1990 NATIONAL CHAMPIONS:
                       GREG ANTHONY
                       ANDERSON HUNT
                       MOSES SCURRY
                       STACEY AUGMON
                       LARRY JOHNSON
THE BEST COACH EVER, JERRY "TARK" TARKANIAN
THIS IS HEAVEN
nomar

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2005, 12:58:35 AM »

I just finished Tarks new book great read  the guys a legend.
icare

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2005, 01:00:26 AM »

joe man you can type, tanner go to bed your mothers ganna be mad
John Doe

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2005, 01:09:11 AM »

I just finished Tarks new book great read  the guys a legend.

Nomar:

Very true and accurate. I read it the first week it came out and I'll tell you what, I was on campus when quite a bit of this stuff actually happened. The NCAA was just out to get Tark, no doubt about it. They had it in for him very much the way the IRB has it in for certain people here in the racing community in Illinois. If Frank Sinatra was still alive, it would never have happened and those NCAA investigators would have been given a free one way ticket back and told to never visit Vegas again unless they were coming to gamble.  LOL.  I specifically remember one afternoon Larry Johnson and I coming back from lunch and getting the third degree because the NCAA had their investigators on campus asking everybody questions about everything and where they got their automobiles from. Nothing but harassment and trying to find something on Tark after he sued their ass and won millions. Noamar, ever hear of the NCAA going to a college campus to conduct an investigation 9 times in a 6 month period? It's all true. There will never be another Tark. He was always good to kids giving second, third and fourth chances. They don't come any better than Jerry Tarkanian and his lovely wife, Lois.

Best Regards,
Joseph M. Dakuras
(A UNLV Runnin Rebel For Life)

AND NOW, HERE ARE YOUR UNLV 1990 NATIONAL CHAMPIONS:
                       GREG ANTHONY
                       ANDERSON HUNT
                       MOSES SCURRY
                       STACEY AUGMON
                       LARRY JOHNSON
THE BEST COACH EVER, JERRY "TARK" TARKANIAN
THIS IS HEAVEN
Tannor

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2005, 11:07:14 AM »

Icare,

No school today so she didnt care to much. I love snow days. Also i got to watch the Illini win again so its all good.

Tannor

They're at the gate!!!!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: