The burden is on the people in the middle
No, it isn't. The top 10% of earners pay 71% of the income tax. That's people up around $120k and above ADJUSTED GROSS. If you're not reporting an adjusted gross in that range and contributing to that 71%, but instead are below that and only contributing to the remaining 29% like average Joe and his wife in your example above, then by your measure you're nothing but a f***ing leech.
You either make a shitload of money, or live in Section 8 and open the mailbox once a month for your "salary." I'm guessing the latter. The welfare state doesn't bother you perhaps because you are a part of it?
I don't know anything about Section 8 or the welfare state, but you sure seem to have an intimate familiarity with it.
We all get screwed twice by these leeches. They contribute nothing. They pay sales tax on money they were given in the first place.
They take out of a system. Since you pay nothing in, how do you get to take it out?
I hate to tell you this, but a lot of those people you love to hate who pay zero income tax are not welfare leeches. They're people who earn crappy incomes, retirees, disabled vets, large families with many deductions, and etc. While 43% aren't paying income tax, all but 14% are paying various payroll taxes, meaning they are working. And of the ones not paying even payroll taxes, most are retirees.
You know who's the real leeches in my opinion? The clowns who live close to the ocean and force the rest of us to buy them new houses when they get blown away by hurricanes. The ones who insist on Federally subsidized flood insurance so they can live in a flood plain and have Uncle Sugar pick up the tab for any floods. Farmers paid to grow nothing. So on and so forth. All good solid middle class leeches.
This all may be too abstract for you, so you don't need to respond.
Uninformed, at any rate.