Chicago Barn to Wire BRIS
Home | News | Bloggers | Forums | Resources | Links | Marketplace | Gallery | Contact Us | Search
Chicago racing newsletter sign-up 
Upcoming events
Arlington Million
Horse slaughter in Illinois
Legislation
Search Chicago Barn to Wire

Hawthorne Race Course

Hawthorne Racecourse (9/14/06)

Contact: DAK Productions
(708) 222-4540

It Pays to Play at Hawthorne

Horseplayers set to feast on full fields and new wagers

With an average field size of 9.01, and sensational pari-mutuel payoffs on a daily basis, Hawthorne’s fall Thoroughbred meet is extremely popular with fans in Illinois and across the country, and the implementation of some of the games most intriguing wagers is sure to enhance that interest level.

There’s nothing AVERAGE about these average payoffs from Hawthorne’s 2005 fall meet (based on $2 tickets).

Superfecta $5,804.08
Trifecta $763.56
Exacta $96.34
Daily Double $119.27
Pick Three $756.70
Pick Four $3,444.51

Expanded Toteboard

Hawthorne’s toteboard has been modified to accommodate 14 numbers, giving racing secretary Gary Duch an opportunity to utilize “also eligibles” and horses entered for “main track only” on a more consistent basis.

New on the Wagering Menu

The Place Pick Nine

For the first time since the spring of 2002 at Sportsman’s Park, the “Place Pick Nine” will be offered on the live Illinois racing product.

Highly popular in California for many years, the Place Pick Nine asks fans to select horses in each of the first nine races on the card. As long as their runner (s) finishes first or second, the player remains alive for the jackpot.

At the completion of the nine-race sequence, if no bettor has a perfect ticket, 25 percent of that day’s pool will be paid out to those patrons who have the most number of correct horses, and the other 75 percent will carry over to the next afternoon’s pool.

The minimum wager for a Place Pick Nine ticket is $1.

“The Place Pick Nine is fun to play and the carryover pool has the potential to build rather quickly,” said Hawthorne’s assistant general manager Jim Miller. “You could take your chances for just a buck, or step up for a more serious swing by building a strategic ticket with multiple horses. Either way, fans will enjoy seeing how many they can get right, and the payoff potential is certainly alluring.”

The Pick Six

Hawthorne will also offer a Pick Six daily (final six races on the card) with a $2 wagering minimum.

Pick Four Carryovers

At Hawthorne, the powers that be decided that bettors should not be paid for mediocrity. Therefore, instead of paying out for the most correct when there are no perfect tickets on the Pick Four, Hawthorne will now return 25 percent of the pool as a consolation prize, and carry over the remaining 75 percent to the next day’s corresponding Pick Four (early to early, late to late).

Pick Four carryovers may only occur a couple of times a meet, but when they do, bettors will have an added incentive to take their shot at the inflated jackpot.

“Horseplayers love carryover wagers,” Miller said. “Growing pools in the Pick Six and the Place Pick Nine, along with the occasional Pick Four rollover, will help generate more enthusiasm for our daily product.”

Quinellas – Back by Popular Demand

The Quinella, eliminated from the vast majority of racetracks across the country when the $1 Exacta became highly popular a few years ago, returns to Hawthorne this fall by popular demand.

In a Quinella wager, the first two finishers must be correctly selected, but the bettor wins regardless of which of the two wins and which runs second.

Three Quinellas will be offered per day (races 3, 6 and 9) and the minimum wager is $2.

The 2006 fall Thoroughbred meet at Hawthorne Race Course runs September 15 through December 31 with live racing five days per week: Wednesday through Sunday. Post time Wednesday, Thursday, Saturday and Sunday is 1:10 p.m. Friday post time through November 27 is 3 p.m., and it will revert back to 1:10 p.m. for the remainder of the meet.

Hawthorne’s spring 2006 Standardbred meet ran May 6 through June 17.

Hawthorne’s spring 2006 Thoroughbred meet ran February 24 through May 2.

For more information visit www.hawthorneracecourse.com.

-30-

 

 

 

Home | News Updates | Bloggers | Forums | Search
Resources | Links | Marketplace | Gallery | Advertising | Contact Us

Copyright © 2000-2014 Chicago Barn to Wire. All rights reserved.
Privacy policy